Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May 4, 2011 - Atmospheric Phenomenon

Hi everyone... This is Katherine. I just wanted to share some great shots I got this morning with my cell phone. In all the pictures there is a clear 22 degree halo around the sun and in the ones taken at sunrise a very bright upper tangent arc (pretty rare). Some sun rise photos include parhelion (sun dogs). There may be a possibly a 44 degree arc which is super rare but I only noticed it in images that I upped the contrast and it may be a camera artifact. These phenomenon are caused by tiny ice crystals in the air. The last picture was taken at 11:45 am and the halo was still there! All others around 7:30 am. The second to last picture has an outer area digital enhanced to make the 44 degree halo more visible.













22 = 22 degree halo
44 = 44 degree halo
P = Parhelion
UTA = Upper tangent arc

2 comments:

Beth said...

Katherine, Very cool pictures! I can't say that I have ever seen this myself. How do you know what this is?
~Beth

Kat said...

I'm an astronomy nut... Most of the phenomenon here (except parhelion) are rare. Some (the 44 degree halo and the upper tangent arc are very rare and this was the first time I have ever seen them myself in person.